ROCKINGHAM – Shenandoah Valley Electric Cooperative urges members to begin preparations now for potential power outages in anticipation of a heavy snow event on Sunday.
Forecasts currently call for a significant accumulation of snow. SVEC crews and its contractors are prepared to respond to outages, should they occur. The cooperative remains in contact with weather monitoring services for the latest projections and expected precipitation type.
“There is no predicting where outages will occur. The severity of winter storm outages can largely be attributed to the type of precipitation and the specific geographical spot it falls. Dry snow doesn’t harm us as much as heavy, wet snow that can bring down limbs in more densely wooded areas,” SVEC President and CEO Greg Rogers says. “The safest precaution our members can take is to be prepared for an outage, no matter where they live. There is no harm in over preparation.”
Now is the time for members to consider the following for outage preparation:
- Download SVEC’s app, MySVEC, to report your outage and manage your account;
- Fully charge devices leading up to precipitation;
- Prepare a home outage kit, to include flashlights, extra batteries, blankets, canned or packaged foods and a first-aid kit;
- Ensure any alternative heating sources have enough supply, such as wood for wood stoves; and
- Make arrangements for alternative housing, if necessary, especially if you are on life-sustaining equipment that requires electricity.
Additional information about SVEC’s outage preparation and restoration process will be shared in the coming days. Please visit svec.coop and follow SVEC’s Facebook page for more information as well.
Chartered in 1936, SVEC serves over 96,000 meters in the counties of Augusta, Clarke, Frederick, Highland, Page, Rockingham, Shenandoah, and Warren and the city of Winchester in Virginia. Shenandoah Valley Electric Cooperative was the first electric cooperative chartered in Virginia. This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer. SVEC supports our armed services and veterans in employment opportunities.