Do you want to use your public service expertise to be an essential member of the Executive Leadership Team at the City of Harrisonburg? If so, the Director of Public Works position may be the right career for you!
The Director of Public Works is a full-time position with benefits and a preferred hiring range of $84,593 - $97,281 annually. The ideal candidate for this position will perform complex professional work that oversees the various operations within the Public Works Department.
The Director of Public Works will:
Physical Requirements: This is light work requiring the exertion of up to 20 pounds of force occasionally, up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects; work requires climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, and fingering; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, use of measuring devices, assembly or fabrication of parts at or within arm's length, operation of machines, operation of motor vehicles or equipment, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is subject to inside and outside environmental conditions, extreme cold, extreme heat, noise, vibration, hazards, and atmospheric conditions.
- Directly develop, implement and evaluate the Public Works Department's goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area;
- Plan, organize, direct and coordinate the operation of the department, including but not limited to, waste management, recycling, environmental compliance, street maintenance and traffic engineering;
- Ensure the continued strength of the city's infrastructure by effective development and maintenance;
- Oversee the preparation of the department operating and capital budget and track departmental expenditures to ensure accountability;
- Coordinate actions with state and federal agencies;
- Coordinate activities with other departments and contractors, including inspection of completed work and authorization of payments;
- Work effectively as a member of the Leadership Team to plan, execute and evaluate organization-wide strategies that achieve City Council's vision and goals and important community needs;
- Recommend operational changes to the City Manager;
- Prepare a variety of reports on department activities;
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, associates, business owners, contractors, architects, engineers, regulatory agency representatives and the general public.
|A bachelor's degree with major coursework in business, public administration, civil engineering or related field and demonstrated leadership through a minimum of 5 years progressively responsible leadership experience in public service. A master's degree is preferred. A valid driver's license is required. Possession of or the ability to acquire a Commonwealth of Virginia Professional Engineer License within 6 months from the date of hire is required.
The ideal candidate should have thorough knowledge of:
The Director of Public Works position requires the ability to:
- Municipal public works administration, planning and design;
- The theory, principles, standard methods and practices of contract administration, construction and grounds, streets, and building maintenance;
- The principles and practices of civil engineering;
- The rules and regulations of the Department and applicable City laws and ordinances.
Successful applicants for this position must complete a criminal background check, credit history review and DMV record review. Successful applicants for this position will be subject to alcohol and controlled substances testing as required by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of the public works operation and to institute improvements;
- Formulate comprehensive operational policies and procedures;
- Evaluate and interpret data and policies from a variety of sources;
- Review and analyze plans and specifications for the construction of public facilities;
- Supervise the work of a large staff.
|Application Requirements: In order to be considered for this position, applicants must submit the following: City of Harrisonburg online employment application, resume, cover letter and three professional references. Applicants who are unable to upload the required documents via the online application must email the documents to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. At a later phase in the recruitment process, finalists will be asked to provide a salary history.
Application Deadline: All candidates must submit a complete City of Harrisonburg online employment application with the documents stated above by 5:00pm EST on September 28, 2018 in order to be considered. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
The City provides an excellent benefits package including health insurance, retirement (VRS & ICMA-RC), life insurance, paid leave and holidays.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.